Leadership MBA / Leadership pro MBA
Course code: 3MB102
Course title in language of instruction: Leadership MBA
Course title in Czech: Leadership pro MBA (anglicky)
Course title in English: Leadership MBA
Number of ECTS credits allocated: 5
Mode of delivery: full–time; 2/2 (hours of lectures per week / hours of seminars per week) as semestral course
Mode of completion: graded course
Language of instruction: English
Level of course and year of study: master (second cycle): 1
Name of lecturer(s):doc. PhDr. Ing. Eva Jarošová, Ph.D. (supervisor)
Recommended optional programme components: none
Work placement: none
Aims of the course:The course broadens students’ knowledge allowing them to understand psychological and social-psychological contexts of organization life. The main line of the course is formed by the topic of leadership. The course is focused on individual, group and organization factors associated with leadership. Students will be acquainted with the development of the conception of leadership up to the present and will be informed about the methods of research in this field. Seminars within this course will be dedicated to a deeper understanding of individual topics, their relations and acquisition of critical thinking and skills regarding work with people and their leadership.
- Leadership – basic definition of the concept and components of leadership. Trait approach in theories of leadership (development and the present situation). Personal characteristics that support effective leadership. Leader and values. The significance of self-knowledge for the role of leader (identity and integrity of leader).
- Motivation in the context of personality, sources of motivation. Motivation and performance, performance motivation, aspirations, work satisfaction. Specific theories of motivation, stimulation tools, motivation program in organization.
- Emotions and self-management, emotional intelligence and its significance in the role of leader. Handling emotions and stress. Personal risk of leader: personal traits endangering effective leadership.
- Significance of communication skills for work life and leadership. Social perception in organization.
- Competency and behavior approaches to leadership. Model of four competencies for leadership. The contingency theory of leadership; situational leadership I and II. Transactional and transformational leadership. Models of well- balanced and authentic leadership.
- Leader and his or her followers. Models of relation between leadership and followership. LMX theory.
- Leadership of workgroups and teams. Group structure and dynamics. Individual in a group. Formation of teams and team work. Group problem-solving. Team excellence. Participative leadership.
- Leadership development. Skills for leadership and performance management: Goal setting, support of employee development and communication of feedback; delegation; solving of conflict situations and negotiation. Tools for analysis of leadership styles and 360-degree feedback. Couching and mentoring.
- Creative leadership. Influence on the creative potential of work groups and teams; formation of innovative climate in organizations.
- Leadership and power. Sources of power in organizations. Micropolitics, its strategy and tactics. Gender and leadership.
- Leadership and organization culture. Link between leadership and activities leading to the formation, assertion or changes in organization culture.
- Intercultural aspects of leadership. Differences in the accentuation of various aspects of leadership in the context of national cultures. Cultural dimension and cultural standards. The GLOBE project.